Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Is gratitude a waste of time?

Since gratitude is a feeling we can experience, perhaps we cannot say this about gratitude itself. But thinking about it at length, writing thank you letters and posts like this one- Isn't there something else I could be doing with my time?

The answer is, most definitely. I could be organizing our apartment, exercising, working on my scientific writing, and applying for jobs. I could take a nap or read a book. Yes, there are lots of things I could be doing instead.

However, though some activities can be worthwhile, what good are their outcomes if I am still caught in a cycle of negativity? What good is 'productivity' when my attitude and outlook on life need adjustment?

The fact is, I KNOW that writing about what I am grateful for is what I need in my life right now, and that this is the right thing to do. I just have to be confident that as I continue through this year things will slowly fall into place.

When time and a little bit of extra effort from me yield positive results, what better instance can there be to accomplish something, then when I can actually appreciate and savor the outcome?!


*****
What do you think? Is writing about gratitude a good use of one's time? What alternatives could also lead to personal growth and attitude adjustment?
*****
This post is part of the daily gratitude practice I am working to develop during 2018. You can read all about it at my blog, ByChanceBuddhism!
*****
May all beings be happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by and leave a comment! If you enjoyed this post, please share with others. -With Metta, Renata