Sunday, January 14, 2018

Failure

Failure. Defeat. Falling short. All are words that most of us don't like to admit to or hear in reference to ourselves. However, though "grateful" may not exactly describe my sentiments about my own failings, I must acknowledge the role failure has played in the my life's path- even in realizing some of the things that are most important to me. 

For example, if I had not failed to get into the graduate program of my choice I would not have met an amazing group of friends. I would not have met my graduate advisor, who's practical and innovative approach to research and teaching will be something I remember for the rest of my life. I would never have met my dear husband, or been welcomed into his wonderful family. My lovely daughter would not exist. I may not even have come across the Buddhist path- or written this blog! 

All this from one decision that was only partially in my control- On paper, I could meet the requirements and fill out the forms, but the outcome was ultimately up to someone else. I guess I will never know the alternate result, but after that initial disappointment, things did eventually work out. Sure, failure can sting when you really want something, but as long it is not the difference between life and death, it is sometimes not so bad. In my experience, it can be an unexpected new beginning that leads to great things- as long as you get up and try again. 

So, in being 'grateful' for the times I have failed (ha, a grudging type of gratefulness I must admit 😇), I am also grateful for all the things, experiences, and people I cherish. 
*****
This post is part of the daily gratitude practice I am hoping to develop during 2018. You can read all about it here. 
*****
May all beings be happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by and leave a comment! If you enjoyed this post, please share with others. -With Metta, Renata