Tuesday, January 12, 2010

My 2010 New Years Resolution

As we know many of us make looking good on the outside a priority come January 1st. However, over the past two years, I have tried something different. I have made resolutions based on improving myself as a person, from the inside out. Sure, it's natural to want to look good and feel healthy, but over the past few months I have been made restless by all the ideas going through my head. There are so many things I want to do, try, and master, but there never seems to be enough time. Some of these things are things I want to do every day, and I have found that these are what I feel are most important. Everyday I would like to 1) Practice yoga 2) Meditate 3) Write 4) Cook fresh food 5) Exercise and 6) Read. So how do I do all these things, without stretching myself too thin?

Three words: GET UP EARLIER!!!

As the Buddha said, "To be idle is a short road to death and to be diligent is a way of life; foolish people are idle, wise people are diligent." I also have been really encouraged by posts by Leo Babauta of Zen Habits, who basically went from, well, not reaching his goals, to reaching and surpassing many of them. One of the main ways Leo did this was to get up (really) early, like at 4:30am. He used that time not only to run, but to work on his other goals as well. A key element of using this so called 'extra' time was to not use it to do 'work' per say, but to move towards personal goals. And I say that as small as 15 minutes (or 5 minutes!) a day may seem, it is still progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by and leave a comment! If you enjoyed this post, please share with others. -With Metta, Renata