Friday, February 2, 2018

Nothing's perfect

As I first embarked on this gratitude journey, I had some doubts about posting my thoughts publicly. Beyond apprehension about feeling exposed, I was cautious about inadvertently portraying my life as some Pollyanna's paradise. 

Since I am a human being, you already know that it is not. Everyone has problems, bad habits, and troublesome emotions. However, if we are truly grateful for what we have, don't have, learn, or experience, it does not make sense to spend our energy qualifying it. 

So yes, I may have been tired all day, but it is important that I allow myself to feel grateful for my husband's helpfulness. I know that our apartment is not the best, most modern, or spacious, but I can still be grateful we have a roof over our heads. I may not have the fittest body, but . . . you get the idea. I express gratitude not because there are no flaws or imperfections, but because being grateful is what matters, and attaching "ifs, ands, or buts" diminishes it.  

From a Buddhist perspective, focusing on gratitude is a step towards a more harmonious life. The 'suffering' defined as dukkha defines the inherent unsatisfactory nature of all things, ultimately defined by their impermanence. Since we already know this, there is no sense in dwelling on it. 

Instead, we can shift our focus towards the sense of contentment that gratitude can bring. If we are grateful, then tanha, or "selfish craving" slowly loses its power over us. Since "craving" or attachment is one of the major obstacles thwarting our happiness, this is a big deal in Buddhist terms.

But you don't need to be a Buddhist to understand or at least appreciate this argument. The benefits of gratitude are already there . . . without anything ever being 'perfect'.  


*****
This post is part of the daily gratitude practice I am working to develop during 2018. You can read all about it at ByChanceBuddhism!
*****
May all beings be happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by and leave a comment! If you enjoyed this post, please share with others. -With Metta, Renata