Sunday, February 28, 2010

Words for Taking Refuge

The following are some basic recitations for taking refuge in the Three Jewels, from several different traditions listed on Wikipedia and View on Buddhism

Sanskrit version:
Buddhaṃ śaraṇaṃ gacchāmi. (I take refuge in the Buddha.)
Dharmaṃ śaraṇaṃ gacchāmi. (I take refuge in the Dharma.)
Saṃghaṃ śaraṇaṃ gacchāmi. (I take refuge in the Sangha.)

Pali (Mahayana) version.
Buddhaṃ saraṇaṃ gacchāmi. (to the Buddha for refuge I go)
Dhammaṃ saraṇaṃ gacchāmi. (to the Dharma for refuge I go)
Saṅghaṃ saraṇaṃ gacchāmi. (to the Sangha for refuge I go)
Dutiyampi buddhaṃ saraṇaṃ gacchāmi. (For the second time ... (repeated for each of the three))Tatiyampi buddhaṃ saraṇaṃ gacchāmi. (For the third time ... (repeated for each of the three))

A Tibetan (Mahāyāna, Vajrayāna) version:
Until I am enlightened,
I go for refuge to the Buddha, Dharma and Sangha.
Through the virtue I create by practising giving and the other perfections,
may I become a Buddha to benefit all sentient beings.
(This is the closest version to the one I recited)
Sangye Cho dang Tsok kyi chog nam la
Jang Chub bar du dag gi jin gyat su chi
Dag gi jin so yi pe tsog nam ki
Dro la pen Chir Sangye drub par shok

Of course, the above words can just be uttered in English, or in any language for that matter. In my opinion, it is the meaning, purpose, and commitment that are important.  

May all beings be happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by and leave a comment! If you enjoyed this post, please share with others. -With Metta, Renata