Wednesday, February 17, 2010

"Go ahead, you deserve it!"

Normally I cringe at statements like these, because in my opinion we really only deserve the things we work hard for. Besides, there is much more satisfaction in working hard towards something and achieving/obtaining it, rather than just having it given to you. 

However, to moderate my point of view, there are things we all deserve in life, and that is to allow ourselves to be happy. Whereas circumstances may often be less-that-ideal, the opportunity to work towards happiness is something we owe ourselves. 


But before I get on my high horse, I better ensure I practice what I preach!!\ I have been struggling with being burnt out at my job, tired all the time, and growing progressively more emotionally withdrawn. I didn't sleep very well last night, and I kept thinking of all the things I want to do to improve my life but never seem to have the time or energy for. These are things I have even noted on this blog, like meditation, yoga, regular exercise, reading, writing, cooking fresh and wholesome food, and keeping my living space clean and uncluttered. 

REVELATION TO MYSELF: YOU NEED TO DO THOSE THINGS BECAUSE YOU DESERVE TO WORK TOWARDS MASTERING THEM!!!

As I said that to myself, I realized that this type of deserving was not the same as feeling you 'deserve' a new car, handbag, or promotion, and that the emphasis was different. It was not focused on the final outcome or instant gratification, but instead on working towards something important. So I have broadened my perspective a little bit, it is not just only deserving the things we work hard for, but deserving to work hard for the things that matter.

So I vow to do just that, whatever it takes. I know it will be hard, but as Theodore Roosevelt noted,
"Nothing in the world is worth having or worth doing unless it means effort, pain, difficulty... I have never in my life envied a human being who led an easy life. I have envied a great many people who led difficult lives and led them well." Des Moines, Iowa November 4, 1910

*********
May all beings be happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by and leave a comment! If you enjoyed this post, please share with others. -With Metta, Renata