Monday, August 8, 2011

Course in Culture: A Lifetime of Learning

In less than a week from now, my future in-laws are traveling from India to stay with my fiance and me before we get married on the 20th of this month. Except for the fact that my 'pod' filled with all my worldly possessions is arriving only tomorrow, and that my fiance and I will have to scramble to get the house in order, I am not nervous. I have spent time with my in-laws before, and they are very kind, open-minded, and amiable people.

But I do realize that with them and of course, my fiance, in my life, I have a lot of learning to do. 

During my teenage years I had the wonderful, life-changing opportunity to live overseas twice, due to the foresight and effort of my amazing parents. After coming back from abroad, people always thought that I was so sophisticated and worldly, that I was the 'cultured' one.

And you might say by the definition of having been many different places, I am 'worldly'. I believe that there is little in the mundane world that can expand the mind more than travel. 

However, like anything else that is 'good for you', it only helps if you are open to it. I was, just because I couldn't help it. I love learning about different cultures, and always have. Maybe it's the influence of my Grandmother and Mom - I don't know.

But the point I am getting to is that just as with anything fascinating, the more I learn, the more I realize I have to learn. I also realize how exciting, humbling, and awe-inspiring that can be!

And so here I stand, hand in hand with my fiance, on the edge of Indian culture, one of the most ancient contemporary civilizations on earth today. Am I nervous? A little. Overwhelmed? Absolutely. But also exhilarated. As I look forward to the years ahead with my fiance, I see us building a life together. I also look forward to the daily lessons in culture, in a lifetime rich in learning and love.

May all beings be happy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by and leave a comment! If you enjoyed this post, please share with others. -With Metta, Renata