Friday, March 9, 2018

Experiencing the gratitude of others

A short while ago I read about the hardships of a couple who had just learned their oldest child has a rare genetic disorder. After reading the heartbreaking post about the young woman's need for an immediate organ transplant, I felt a combination of worry, sadness, and fear.

But when I eventually read positive news about the girl's prognosis, my heart filled with joy- and gratitude.

From this I was once again reminded that practicing gratitude is not all about me. Yes, I knew that gratitude has its own benefits, but not necessarily isolated from everyone else. In this way we are all truly connected- your gratitude is my gratitude! 😊

What could be a more a beautiful way to develop caring, empathy, and what Buddhists refer to as metta towards fellow sentient beings?


*****
This post is part of the daily gratitude practice I am working to develop during 2018. You can read all about it at ByChanceBuddhism!
*****
May all beings be happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by and leave a comment! If you enjoyed this post, please share with others. -With Metta, Renata