Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Happy Dussehra!

For something a little different, I just wanted to wish my Hindu friends and family a Happy Dussehra! Dussehra is the celebration of the female Shakti, or trinity of Goddesses Lakshmi, Durga, and Saraswati. As one can imagine, women are central to the celebration and prayer, of which the focus are the Goddesses and offerings of their favorite foods. There is often also a special and creatively decorated construction called a Golu, which women build and show to other women who, along with their children, come to their house to admire- and also to eat delicious foods and socialize.

Below is a very simple Golu I put together for this year's Dussehra. Enjoy!


*****
May all beings be happy!

2 comments:

  1. I like the picture very must as well as this post! ^_^ I'm not too informed on Hindi celebrations or much of anything else(I do, however, love the Bhagavad Gita!), so I find this fascinating!

    -Merry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Merry! I am glad you enjoyed this post. I didn't include as much information about the Dussehra festival as I could have, but I thought this might be a nice mini-introduction to anyone who was interested. Thanks for stopping by!

      With Metta,

      Renata

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by and leave a comment! If you enjoyed this post, please share with others. -With Metta, Renata