Monday, December 31, 2012

Dear 2012 . . .

I thought that this year I would write a post about what I learned and experienced during 2012, as I did for 2011. Here goes-

Dear 2012,

You started out rough, but all in all, you were a pretty good year. I learned a lot from you, and have done a lot of soul-searching and introspection during your reign. 

You have:
  • seen me experience the incredible stress, and shown me that despite what I may think at the time, those situations do eventually pass (sometimes expidited with the help of a stiff drink!).
  • shown me the insecurity that comes from living paycheck to paycheck (especially as a couple).
  • seen me disappointed and let down by my mentors.
  • made me question my abilities and goals, and seen me struggle with a cloud of depression.
  • taught me how quickly accidents can happen, and how the effects can last.
  • toned and hardened me against rejection.
  • shown me the lack of grace adversaries can have, even when they win.
  • allowed me to cut back on distractions and focus on what is really important in life.
  • blessed me with the opportunity to begin the 30th year of my life.
  • given me the opportunity to slowly return my life to normalcy, and to once again do things not out of obligation, but because I enjoy them. 
  • made me rejoice that things I have written here are actually being read, and blessed me with great readers and blog friends!
  • shown me that the pomp and circumstance of ceremony can hold great triumph- and closure!
  • given me the privilege to say that I completed my graduate degree AND received my driver's license in the same year (it's just too bad I am not 16 anymore :)
  • witnessed the first steps of my great journey learning my husband's native tongue, and seen my heart warmed as his parents and relatives rejoiced in this.
  • seen my husband and I celebrate the first wonderful year of our married lives together. 

. . . And 2012, you are now over.

From frustration and depression to joy and contentment, I have experienced so much in 2012. But I still believe what I wrote in December 2011:

"As milestones pass and lessons are learned, they each irrevocably become part of the past. In life, the past is there to learn from, the future to plan and hope for. But living itself can only take place in the present moment."

Here's to a mindful, happy, and healthy 2013, for all of us!

With that, I will leave you with the following quote from Thich Nhat Hanh (which is considerably more eloquent than mine :)

"In Buddhism, we speak of touching Nirvana with our own body, In Christianity, you can also touch the Kingdom of God with your body, right here and now. It is much safer than placing our hope in the future. If we cling to the idea of hope in the future, we might not notice the peace and joy that are available in the present moment. The best way to take care of the future is to take care of the present moment." (From Living Buddha, Living Christ) 

*****
May all beings be happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by and leave a comment! If you enjoyed this post, please share with others. -With Metta, Renata