Friday, January 26, 2018

I'm Surprised

It seems that almost every January I contrive some way to to 'work on' myself, but my half-hearted or unsustainable efforts usually fail within a week. But I am proud to say that today marks the completion of the third week of the gratitude practice I am developing for 2018. 

Honestly, I did not expect it to go so well. I thought that I would make up excuses and find some way to put it off, or that I wouldn't be able to break through the negative, critical thoughts that often filled my mind to write about something I was grateful for. 

Well, I have never been so happy to be wrong! First of all, I have written more posts in this month than I did for two separate years, which is a great thing for someone like me who loves to write, but "never has the time". But that is just the tip of the iceberg. I really do feel completely different, much less negative and more like the person I'm 'supposed to' be, if that makes any sense.

Thinking about it, there are a number of possible reasons why working to be more grateful has been less difficult than I first thought:

  • There is so much to be grateful for, therefore no shortage of things to write about and share. 
  • Practicing gratefulness has put me in a better, more positive frame of mind, which has strengthened my motivation and resolve to keep going. 
  • Though they are strong and difficult to be rid of completely, perhaps the negative thought patterns of my past are more fragile than I thought. 
  • The simple rules I set for myself, especially about being flexible, are very open, so, no pressure or stress. 
  • I look forward to the happiness that accompanying my posts with more direct actions of gratitude will (hopefully) bring.  
  • Expressing gratitude is a good and healthy way to spend my time, and may even benefit others in the process. 
  • It is fun to think and write about the little things I am grateful for!
I am sure there are (and will be) many more reasons, but to these are some good ones to start. I am fully aware that there may be some unexpected obstacles to the practice during the course of this year, but for now I am very content with how it is going, and look forward to continuing.

What are you grateful for today? Would you care to join me on my gratitude journey?
*****
This post is part of the daily gratitude practice I am working to develop during 2018. You can read all about it at my blog, ByChanceBuddhism!
*****
May all beings be happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by and leave a comment! If you enjoyed this post, please share with others. -With Metta, Renata