Saturday, January 13, 2018

For * pleasant * surprises

Yesterday morning was one of those mornings. It began with me getting up super late, which is not a terrible thing, but then I do usually have to play 'catch up', which I do not like. The really not-so-great thing was the little misunderstanding between my husband and me about the recycling. The bin in our apartment complex is a bit of a trek, so I had been putting off taking it out. As the mountain of cardboard boxes and other recyclables became too much for me to ignore, I placed everything outside the door. My husband and I had a short conversation about it, and I said that I would take the bags if he would take the cardboard boxes. Well, apparently all he heard was "I'll do it" 😏 , resulting in neither of us taking the boxes. 

Of course, it poured overnight, and we awoke to a soggy pile of cardboard on our doorstep. I wasn't happy about it, but I still volunteered to lug the mess to the recycling bin (yup, and it was still raining). I don't know about you, but for me having to carry a bunch of wet cardboard boxes is on par with things like plucking hair from the drain and putting on a wet bathing suit. By the time I got to the bin I was a little, ahem . . . annoyed. 

Since I had the keys with me I decided I would check the mailbox. To my great surprise, it was a parcel from my sister! Though I did not even know what it was, seeing this instantly made me feel better. I was pretty much soaked through and therefore still a little peeved, but this grateful little boost to my spirits allowed me to come back to the apartment without steam coming from my ears. I teased my husband (who, seeing my wet figure in the doorway now looked rather guilty) about 'making me' go and laughed off my drowned rat look while he got me a towel. 

I know I would not have responded this way if I had not allowed myself to feel grateful for this pleasant surprise- which arrived at just the right time!
*****
This post is part of the daily gratitude practice I am hoping to develop during 2018. You can read all about it here. 
*****
May all beings be happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by and leave a comment! If you enjoyed this post, please share with others. -With Metta, Renata